ONLINE COURSE - WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
The Level 3 Award in Wines is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations. WSET Level 3 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over seven weeks with a minimum of 80 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 3 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The key characteristics of the principal:
- still wines of the world
- sparkling wines of the world
- fortified wines of the world
- How to make appropriate wine recommendations
- How to taste wines using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith's Online Revision Platform E-Learning Wine for the duration of the course including useful video links and other resources
- Successful candidates will be able to taste and describe with confidence the characteristics of the principal wines of the world and give information on the key factors influencing style, quality and price. Those who work with wine will be in a great position to advise management, to answer customer queries authoritatively, and to make informed selections of wines in a variety of situations.
The Level 3 Award in Wines is designed to build on a solid foundation of knowledge, equivalent to that which is gained through Level 2 Award in Wines (previously known as the Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits). For this reason, the course is recommended to students who have achieved the WSET Level 2 qualification, however this qualification isn't a requiement to enroll onto this course.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required. Additionally, the course assessment requires your answers to be hand-written, therefore a good level of written and spoken English is very beneficial.
A course study pack will be posted to you upon booking for this course (your preferred postal address will be confirmed before materials are posted out). It is highly recommended that the course textbook is read prior to the start of the course if possible.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Friday 8th May 2020 at 4pm: Registration Deadline
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM DATES:
- Sunday 10th May 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- Sunday 17th May 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- Sunday 24th May 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- Sunday 31st May 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- Sunday 7th June 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- Sunday 14th June 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- Sunday 21st June 2020 at 9:30am – 3:00pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session (NOTE: 1 hour break will occur from 12pm to 1pm)
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
IN-PERSON TASTING REVISION DAY:
- Sunday 5th July 2020 at 9:00am - 5:00pm: In-Person Tasting Revision Day at West London Wine School
IN-PERSON EXAM DATE:
- EXAM - Sunday 12th July 2020: To obtain the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an IN-PERSON exam that is made up of two components. The Theory Exam (50 multiple-choice questions and 4 comprehensive short written questions) and the Tasting Exam (blind assessment of two wines). You must achieve at least 55% on both the Theory exam and the Tasting exam to pass the exam.
- The course will have 7 full LIVE virtual taught lessons with West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule.
- Jimmy will additionally host ‘office hours’ for two hours each week for nine consecutive weeks outside of the virtual taught lessons to answers any questions students may have during their revisions. Jimmy will be available at these fixed times to respond directly via email to any queries students may have during their revision outside of the virtual classroom lessons. This time will also be an opportunity for students to review their tasting notes with Jimmy.
- Enrolled students will receive access to West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith’s Online Revision Portal: E-Learning Wine. This portal contains hundreds of multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course as well as other revision tools such as short written mock exam questions, revision exercis and templates and useful videos.
- As part of the course fee, students will be invited to attend a tasting tutorial day at West London Wine School to help you prepare for the tasting examination. This tasting tutorial is scheduled to occur on Sunday 5th July 2020 from 9:0am - 5:00pm at West London Wine School in Fulham, West London.
- Students will be scheduled to attend the exam on Sunday 12th July 2020 upon enrolment. If they would like to sit the exam on a different, later date, this can also be arranged after enrolment provided that students inform West London Wine School in writing no later than 15 working days prior to Sunday 12th July 2020.
The Course Fee of £595 Includes:
- Course study pack (posted to students)
- Access to full LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by Jimmy Smith
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith’s ‘E-Learning Wine’ online revision platform
- Professional WSET tuition
- Attendance to an in-house tasting revision day at West London Wine School
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
It is recommended that 24 wines are tasted as part of this course outside of the in-house tasting revision day. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The course tutor will send through the recommended wine styles for students to obtain and sample as part of this course. West London Wine School also has hand-selected a tasting case of 24 wines (comprised of half bottles and full bottles) that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course fee of £295. If you would like to purchase this case (as opposed to sourcing the wines on your own), a link to purchase this tasting case will be sent to you upon registering for this course. Delivery to any address in mainland UK is free. Currently, we are unable to arrange delivery to addresses outside of Mainland UK. Any wine orders received after 12pm will be processed on the next working day. We are working hard to deliver your order within two working days of the order being processed however due to the current environment the wines may arrive a day or two later than expected.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Places remaining: 7
Course Date/Time: Sun 10th May 2020 at 9:30am - 3:00pm
Duration: 7 Consecutive Weeks