Online Fine Wine Tasting: Rioja Gran Reserva 1994 - 2011
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TASTING KITS HAVE SOLD OUT BUT YOU ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US FOR THE SESSION.
Join us for a special single-evening fine wine tasting of 6 Rioja Gran Reservas with vintages ranging 1994 to 2011 on Friday 30th October 2020 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
Rioja Gran Reserva 1994-2011
Make sure you sign up NOW for this absolutely fantastic evening laden with some of the most wonderful wines from Spain. This is an exclusive and special tasting purely focusing on the highest category of age, Gran Reserva, in the most famous of all regions in Spain, Rioja. The sample-kit tasting will include six world-class Riojas, including a fifteen year old complex white Rioja and then five red Riojas spanning three decades (1994 to 2011) from top bodegas such as Urbina, La Rioja Alta, CVNE and Muga. This tasting will be led by chief taster and founder/owner of West London Wine School, Jimmy Smith, who is a Spanish Wine Scholar tutor and a Rioja fanatic!
Rioja is the oldest Designation of Origin in Spain (1925) and the first to earn Calificada status (1991). The DOCa Rioja is located in the north of Spain, on both sides of the River Ebro. It is divided into three large zones: Rioja Alta, Rioja Alavesa and Rioja Oriental. With more than 65,000 hectares of vineyards, each town and terroir has its own personality, making Rioja a unique land and a pioneer in wine expertise. Brave, hard-working and unpretentious. It is Spain’s leading Designation of Origin with more than 600 wineries, 14,800 grape growers and the largest number of barrels in the world.
The Gran Reserva level of Rioja experiences the most oak-aging. This gives Rioja wine the most tannin structure and age-worthy potential. What’s interesting about Gran Reserva is that most winemakers select the best grapes for this level and age them for as long as the wine needs. This means most of the new release Gran Reservas are around 10 years old or older when you first see them available. Gran Reserva Rioja are ideal wines to cellar up to 30 years.
Tasting Date: Friday 30th October 2020 at 7:00pm (the tasting will last approximately 1.5 - 2 hours)
TASTING FEE STRUCTURE:
For this special two-hour tasting, an exclusive tasting kit is available which includes a 75ml tasting sample of each wine, as well as tasting mat, tasting note paper and pen. The total cost for this tasting experience including this kit is £85.
- To reserve your place on this tasting, there is a £10 registration fee.
- Once you have registered to attend this tasting, a member of the West London Wine School team will email you a link to purchase the supplemental tasting kit. The standalone kit price is £85, however your £10 course registration fee is 100% redeemable against this before final purchase. PLEASE NOTE: As the wine tasting kit is prepared for us by our 3rd party supplier, West London Wine School gift vouchers are NOT redeemable towards the purchase of the tasting kit.
- Tasting kits will be sent out approximately 1 week prior to this tasting.
Tasting Kit: What's Included:
- 75ml tasting sample of each wine (6 in total) contained in a sterilised glass bottle and preserved with an inert gas (designed specifically for wine preservation)
- Tasting mat
- Tasting note sheet
- West London Wine School pen
PLEASE NOTE: As this is a virtual tasting, only one seat needs to be booked per household UNLESS individuals will be logging into the tasting series with different computers/tablets. Additional tasting kits can be purchased for £85 each if additional wines are required per household. Due to the exclusivity of these wines, supplemental full bottle tasting cases are not available for purchase.
Jimmy Smith will host this exclusive tasting live at 7:00pm on Friday 30th October 2020. This single-evening tasting will be approximately 1.5 - 2 hours in length.
Unable to commit on the evening? No problem! Anyone registered for this tasting will gain access to the video recording of the live event, so you can always revisit any of these at anytime in the future - whether its because you missed participating in the live evening or if you want to revisit the presentation at a later date.
Wines Included in Tasting Kit (6 wines):
- Valserrano Blanco Gran Reserva 2015
- Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva, Rioja 2011
- CVNE Imperial Gran Reserva, Rioja 2009
- La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva 2007
- La Rioja Alta 890 Seleccion Especial Gran Reserva 2004
- Urbina Gran Reserva Especial 1994
Places remaining: 6
Course Date/Time: Fri 30th Oct 2020 at 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Duration: 1.5 - 2 hours