ONLINE COURSE - WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine is the ideal starting point for the novice wine enthusiast, or anyone starting a career in wine or hospitality. WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over three weeks with a minimum of 12 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 1 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that as of June 2020, the exam can be completed in person at West London Wine School or online - CLICK HERE FOR THE REQUIREMENTS TO DO THIS EXAM ONLINE. Please note that the course fee includes the exam in either format.
What’s Covered on the Course:
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to make food and wine pairings
- Online tasting of nine wines with educator feedback (students to provide their own samples)
- How to store and serve wine
No prior knowledge is required. The course is delivered online and in English, therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- 6th November 2020 at 4pm: Registration Deadline
- Sunday 8th November 2020 at 11am – 12:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 15th November 2020 at 11am – 12:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 22nd November 2020 at 11amm – 12:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an exam (either in-person or online) that is made up of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. You must answer at least 70% correctly to pass the exam.
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- The course will have 3 LIVE virtual taught lessons with a West London Wine School tutor. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule. These live sessions allow our tutors to present, explain and review the course content in the same way as they would in an actual classroom lessons, with the added bonus of being able to utilise tools such as digital, real-time quizzes and Google Earth integration to further enhance student learning. Students can also engage with the tutor and ask questions throughout each 'live' class session.
- After each lesson, students are invited to a video zoom session with their course tutor and all other course participants. The zoom sessions are not mandatory, but provide an additional fun and relaxed way for students to further discuss the lesson topics with their tutors as well as catch-up with their classmates more socially.
- A West London Wine School tutor will additionally host ‘office hours’ each week outside of the virtual taught lessons to answers any questions students may have during their revisions. Students will also be able to participate in a relaxed Q&A after each lesson where the tutor is also able to answer any questions not otherwise raised during the day's lesson.
- Enrolled students will receive access to West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith’s Online Revision Portal: E-Learning Wine. This portal contains hundreds of multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course as well as other revision tools such as short written exercises and useful videos.
- Students will need to select a date to attend the course exam in-person at West London Wine School. All students will be provided a full list of possible exam dates to choose from with dates currently available to Winter 2021.
The Course Fee of £115 Includes:
- Course study guide (provided online to students)
- Access to LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by a West London Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith’s ‘E-Learning Wine’ online revision platform
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
It is recommended that 9 wines are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The course tutor will send through the recommended wine styles for students to obtain and sample as part of this course. West London Wine School also has hand-selected a tasting case of 9 wines (comprised of 2 full bottles as well as 7 half bottles) that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course fee of £109. If you would like to purchase this case (as opposed to sourcing the wines on your own), a link to purchase this tasting case will be sent to you upon registering for this course. Delivery to any address in mainland UK is free. Currently, we are unable to arrange delivery to addresses outside of Mainland UK.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Places remaining: 9
Course Date/Time: Sun 8th Nov 2020 at 11am - 12:30pm
Duration: 3 Consecutive Weeks