ONLINE COURSE - WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a fantastic and structured exploration into the world of wines and is suitable for both industry professionals and wine enthusiasts alike. Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce around the world. Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over eight weeks with a minimum of 36 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 2 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
- • How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
• How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
o Pinot Grigio/Gris
o Sauvignon Blanc
o Cabernet Sauvignon
o Pinot Noir
• The style and quality of wines:
o made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
o produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
• How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
o Sparkling wines
o Fortified wines
• Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
• Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
• Principles of food and wine pairing
This course is ideal for complete beginners - no prior knowledge is required and you don't have to have completed any other qualification to enrol. If you are completely new to the world of wine, you may wish to study the Level 1 Award in Wines first, but this is not essential.
The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
A course study pack will be posted to you upon booking for this course (your preferred postal address will be confirmed before materials are posted out). It is highly recommended that the course textbook is read prior to the start of the course if possible.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- 18th April 2020 at 5pm: Registration Deadline
- Sunday 19th April 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 26th April 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 3rd May 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 10th May 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 17th May 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 24th May 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 31st May 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Sunday 7th June 2020 at 2pm – 4:00pm: 8th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an IN-PERSON exam that is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. You must answer at least 55% correctly to pass the exam.
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- The course will have 8 LIVE virtual taught lessons with a West London Wine School tutor. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule.
- A West London Wine School tutor will additionally host ‘office hours’ for two hours each week for nine consecutive weeks outside of the virtual taught lessons to answers any questions students may have during their revisions. Tutors will be available at these fixed times (set by the tutor) to respond directly via email to any queries students may have during their revision outside of the virtual classroom lessons. This time will also be an opportunity for students to review their tasting notes with the tutor.
- Enrolled students will receive access to West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith’s Online Revision Portal: E-Learning Wine. This portal contains hundreds of multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course as well as other revision tools such as short written exercises and useful videos.
- Students will need to select a date to attend the course exam in-person at West London Wine School. All students will be provided a full list of possible exam dates to choose from with dates currently available from June 2020 up to Winter 2021.
The Course Fee of £285 Includes:
- Course study pack (posted to students)
- Access to LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by a West London Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith’s ‘E-Learning Wine’ online revision platform
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
It is recommended that at least 12 wines are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The course tutor will send through the recommended wine styles for students to obtain and sample as part of this course. West London Wine School also has hand-selected a tasting case of 12 wines (comprised of 10 half bottles as well as 2 full bottles) that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course fee of £140. If you would like to purchase this case (as opposed to sourcing the wines on your own), a link to purchase this tasting case will be sent to you upon registering for this course. Delivery to any address in mainland UK is free. Currently, we are unable to arrange delivery to addresses outside of Mainland UK.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Sun 19th Apr 2020 at 2pm - 4:00pm
Duration: 8 Consecutive Weeks