ONLINE COURSE - WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine is the ideal starting point for the novice wine enthusiast, or anyone starting a career in wine or hospitality. WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over three weeks with a minimum of 12 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 1 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to make food and wine pairings
- Online tasting of six wines with educator feedback (students to provide their own samples)
- How to store and serve wine
No prior knowledge is required. The course is delivered online and in English, therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- 17th April 2020 at 5pm: Registration Deadline
- Saturday 18th April 2020 at 2pm – 3:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Saturday 25th April 2020 at 2pm – 3:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Saturday 2nd May 2020 at 2pm – 3:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an IN-PERSON exam that is made up of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. You must answer at least 70% correctly to pass the exam.
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- The course will have 3 LIVE virtual taught lessons with a West London Wine School tutor. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule.
- A West London Wine School tutor will additionally host ‘office hours’ for two hours each week for four consecutive weeks outside of the virtual taught lessons to answers any questions students may have during their revisions. Tutors will be available at these fixed times (set by the tutor) to respond directly via email to any queries students may have during their revision outside of the virtual classroom lessons. This time will also be an opportunity for students to review their tasting notes with the tutor.
- Enrolled students will receive access to West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith’s Online Revision Portal: E-Learning Wine. This portal contains hundreds of multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course as well as other revision tools such as short written exercises and useful videos.
- Students will need to select a date to attend the course exam in-person at West London Wine School. All students will be provided a full list of possible exam dates to choose from with dates currently available from June 2020 up to Winter 2021.
The Course Fee of £115 Includes:
- Course study guide (posted to students)
- Access to LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by a West London Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith’s ‘E-Learning Wine’ online revision platform
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
It is recommended that 9 wines are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The course tutor will send through the recommended wine styles for students to obtain and sample as part of this course. West London Wine School also has hand-selected a tasting case of 9 wines (comprised of 2 full bottles as well as 7 half bottles) that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course fee of £109. If you would like to purchase this case (as opposed to sourcing the wines on your own), a link to purchase this tasting case will be sent to you upon registering for this course. Delivery to any address in mainland UK is free. Currently, we are unable to arrange delivery to addresses outside of Mainland UK.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Sat 18th Apr 2020 at 2pm - 3:30pm
Duration: 3 Consecutive Weeks