UPDATED CONTENT: 5 June 2020
We hope you are all continuing to stay well and safe in these current times.
Recently the government issued guidelines about getting ‘people back to work’ however gatherings are still not allowed. The guidelines have also stipulated that social distancing must remain.
Given these stipulations around social distancing we are unable to open the school in June like we hoped to. However, given that lockdown restrictions seem to be easing we are hopeful that we may be able to offer some courses again, in smaller numbers, with strict social distancing and hygiene measures from July.
As always, we just need to make sure we’re following the guidelines and putting the health and safety of all our students and staff first.
Once the government issues the next set of guidelines, we will contact you again. All students registered for courses in June have already been contacted. As soon as the guidelines become clear we will contact all students class by class with your options. We respectfully ask you all to bear with us until we have clearer guidance. Once we can revisit our schedules, we will give you a minimum of two weeks’ notice for rescheduled courses. You will receive more than one set of dates to choose from.
You may want to check out your online options:
As some of you are aware, we have been working hard to take tastings and courses online and have alternative options for some of you:
We’re delighted to announce that we can offer all three WSET Award in Wine courses online and WSET L1 & L2 exams online.
- If you are a Level 1 or Level 2 student due to be starting a course with us, you can transfer to an online course and do your exam online. We will contact you directly to explain how this works. Alternatively, you can choose to transfer to a course starting later in the year at the physical school. Once we have confirmed dates, we will send these to you.
- If you are a Level 1 or Level 2 student and are booked in for an exam only you will be able to take the exam online. We will contact you shortly to advise how you can do this.
WSET Level 3 Students
- If you are a Level 3 student who studied with us at the physical school but was unable to finish your course before the lockdown, we will contact you. You will have the option to either join an online course to finish your studies, however the exam must be completed in person due to the tasting element. We will email you class by class with your options.
- If you were booked to do the exam only, this will still need to be done in person. We will contact you with revised exam dates once the restrictions are lifted.
Wine Scholar Guild Students
- We’re delighted to announce that we will shortly be launching our French Wine Scholar and Spanish Wine Scholar courses and exams online. If you started on these courses with us earlier this year you will have the choice to complete them online (including the exam) or join the physical school later this year. We will contact you directly with the details once they have launched.
- We are working with the Wine Scholar Guild to bring both units of the Italian Wine Scholar online and hope to provide more news on that in the forthcoming weeks.
All other students
As soon as the government confirms the date that we will reopen the school we will contact you with revised start dates for your tasting.
In the meantime, we are starting to offer our traditional four and eight-week courses online and we will invite you to join those instead if you wish. You will be contacted when we put these live and we’ll give you more information – but it’s entirely up to you whether you switch or stay with the classroom.
To confirm our policy, you will all be offered:
- Free rebooking with no amendment fees; or
- Free cancellation and a credit equivalent to your original ticket price to be used as payment for future events; or
- To switch to an online course if you prefer.
If you have a tasting or course booked after September 1, we kindly ask you not to contact us about your class, it is highly likely it will go ahead and we will message you much nearer the time!
We have several hundred students who join us every year for tastings and courses, but we are a small team – so please bear with us! You will all be contacted in due course and we ask for your patience once again.
Thank you for your ongoing understanding, we hope to be back up with you at the physical school asap! In the meantime, do check out our online fun!
We miss you and we look forward to seeing you all in person soon,
Jimmy, Beth & the West London Wine School team.