Fine Wine: Napa Valley: Wines with Altitude
Join us we celebrate and indulge in the vinous delights of the Napa Valley's hillsides and mountains including great districts such as Howell Mountain, Stag's Leap District and Spring Mountain. There will be 7 wines to taste ranging from £80 to £220 per bottle (plus an aperitif of course!)
After the famous 'Judgement of Paris' tasting in 1976, where the creme de la creme of France was pitched against the movers and shakers of California, the world took note of this now famous wine region, as it took top spot. Almost forty years on, some of the New World's finest wines are now found here. In Napa there is a concentration of powerful and complex Cabernet Sauvignon. These certainly are finely crafted wines that we shall tuck into with gusto.
On this session we focus on Napa Valley's wines with altitude. All the wines selected are from either hillsides of mountainous parts of the valley including areas such as Atlas Peak, Howell Mountain and Spring Mountain at altitudes of 300m-600m. These wines show a marked greater acidity and tannic structure than their valley counterparts (under 200m) and a deliciously complex.
For anyone who loves fruity, full and complex reds or whites with personality that show off fine craftsmanship, this is a tasting not to be missed.
Wines on Tasting (7 wines):
- Heitz Wine Cellars 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Linda Falls Vineyard Howell Mountain £160
- O'Shaughnessy Estate Winery 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain £80
- Shafer Vineyards 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select Stags Leap District £220
- Spring Mountain Vineyard 2009 Red Blend Elivette Spring Mountain District £100
- Spring Mountain Vineyard 2012 Sauvignon Blanc Spring Mountain District £25
- Viader Vineyards & Winery 2011 Red Blend Mount Veeder £125
- Viader Vineyards & Winery 2012 Red Blend Mount Veeder £125
Places remaining: 22
Course Date/Time: Thu 7th Mar 2019 at 7pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: The Wine Cellars, Fulham