WSET Level 3 Award: Saturdays
Saturdays for 6 sessions starting 20th May (over 5 months)
This well-structured and in-depth Level 3 certificate is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain comprehensive knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon the knowledge gained at Level 2. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting as tasting will be part of the examinations. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification and provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
Saturday Sessions - who are they designed for?
- We run Saturday sessions for those who can not sacrifice a working weekday
- The sessions run for 7 to 8 hours, starting at 10am and finishing at 6pm, which enables you plenty of time to arrive punctually and enough time to enjoy your valued Saturday evening
- There are 5 full sessions (one a month) and an exam session, spread out over 5 months. This enables you to learn this very challenging syllabus (many students have transferred in the past from the shorter format to this longer format). The final exam day is 10am - 4pm.
Course Outline (all Saturdays)
- 20th May - DAY 1 - Session 1: Course starter & tasting technique
Session 2: Natural factors and human influences in the vineyard
Session 3: Human influences in the winery
- 17th June - DAY 2 - Session 4: White wines of Alsace, Germany, Austria and Tokaji
Session 5: White wines of Burgundy, Loire and Bordeaux
Session 6: Red/rosé of Loire, Bordeaux and south west France
- 15th July - DAY 3 - Session 7: Red wines of Burgundy, Beaujolais and red/whites of the N Rhône
Session 8: Red/white/rosé wines of S Rhône/S France Red wines of Spain part 1 and white wines of Spain and Portugal
Session 9: Red wines of N Spain and red/white wines of N Italy
- 12th August - DAY 4 - Session 10: Red/white wines of central and southern Italy; Red wines of Portugal and red/white wines of Greece
Session 11: Premium red wines of New Zealand, USA and Australia
Session 12: Premium whites of New Zealand, S Africa, Australia, USA, Canada
- 9th September - DAY 5 - Session 13: Regional specialities of Australia, South Africa and USA; Premium red/white wines of Argentina and Chile
Session 14: Sparkling wines
Session 15: Fortified wines
Session 16: Feedback Tasting Test
- 7th October - DAY 6 - Examination
What's included in the Course Fee?
- All WSET course materials including; Course manual, Study Guide, Specification book and Tasting Card
- Use of ISO professional tasting glasses
- All tasting wine (approx 70 wines)
- All course handouts (we have a comprehensive database of past exam papers/practice questions)
- All course tuition
- Examination Papers (Theory Multiple Choice & Written plus Tasting Paper)
Course tutors: Jimmy Smith (School founder - nominated WSET Wine Educator of the Year 2012, 2014)
Jimmy has 10 years industry experience teaching WSET, training over 3000+ students through both the Intermediate and Advanced certificates. With high pass rates across both certifcates and number of students gaining scholarships from Jimmy's courses, they are thoroughly enjoyable but informative and educational with ample course material available designed by Jimmy. West London Wine School has been nominated by WSET as best educator of the year in 2012 and 2014, and joint winner in 2015
'I completed the intensive condensed WSET level 3 at West London Wine School in May, it was a LOT of content to cover but Cherie and Jimmy covered it all in the best way possible - full of the right stuff - endless enthusiasm, immense knowledge, expert experience and a wonderful sense of humour. Their passion and in-depth knowledge kept one glued to the course throughout. It is with natural ease that they carry this out so professionally. As soon as you arrive in the cellars of West London Wine School the atmosphere is instantly welcoming and comfortable, both Cherie and Jimmy are so approachable and friendly. I felt right at home there and will definitely return for future courses. Thank you Jimmy and Cherie for what was amazing week of wine. Thoroughly enjoyed. It has only fueled my interest so much more!' (Laura P, TripAdvisor 02/06/2015)
Places remaining: 1
Course Date/Time: Sat 20th May 2017 at 10am
Duration: 7-8 hours
Venue: Fulham Wine Cellars