Jimmy's Cellar: Northern Rhone
Jimmy (West London Wine School head tutor) has been collecting a number of fantastic wines from one his favourite wine regions in the world, Northern Rhone, and now it's time to taste a selection from his cellar...
Northern Rhone - Pure Quality
Where as Southern Rhone churns out around 95% of the total of the Rhone Valley this leaves a small 5% for the Northern Rhone - a tiny district where quality is the only order of the day. Within that 95% in the South there is a plentitude of average, inexpensive and often uninteresting wine. Within the Northern portfolio the yields are lower, quality is focussed and the wines delectable. This is also the birthplace of Syrah (Shiraz) where we find excellent full-bodied styles such as Hermitage, Cornas and Cote-Rotie and fragrant, light and pure styles such as Saint-Joseph and Crozes-Hermitage.
In addition there is a very small production of whites; floral and stone-fruited Viogniers and complex and full-bodied Marsannes and Roussannes. These are gems to discover and both styles that are increasingly becoming popular in wine circles - for the people in the know.
Wines on Tasting:
- Jean-Luc Colombo 'Les Ruchets' Cornas 2007 - £45
- Edmond & David Duclaux, Cote Rotie,1999 - £40
- Jean-Luc Colombo Crozes-Hermitage 2007 - £16
- A Hermitage (TBC)
- Guigal Condrieu, 2008 (Viognier) - Decanter Trophy White Rhone of Year 2010 - £30
- Chapoutier Hermitage, ‘Chante-Alouette’ 2007 (Marsanne) - £45
- Delas 'Marquise de la Tourette' Hermitage Blanc 2005 (Marsanne) - £40
- Les Vins de Vienne, Saint-Péray, 2009 (Marsanne) - £15
This tasting will be led by Jimmy Smith, he wouldn't let anyone else host it!!
Places Available: 0
Course Date/Time: Thu 1st Dec 2011 at 7pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: The Wine Cellars, Fulham