Champagne and Cheese Evening with Piper Heidsieck
Join us for an evening of wonderful decadence as we welcome Simon Stockton, the Piper Heidsieck brand ambassador in the UK, to lead a tasting of six superb Champagnes, including the very fine and rare Piper Heidsieck Rare Millesime 2002, expertly matched with cheeses supplied by our partner Hamish and Johnston.
With a long and varied history dating back to its beginnings in 1785 when it was created by Florens-Louis Heidsieck, Piper-Heidsieck is one of Champagne’s most well-known yet under-estimated houses. From being a favourite of Marilyn Monroe (who claimed she liked a glass to wake up in the morning) to being the first ever bottle of Champagne to feature in a movie (the 1933 Laurel and Hardy film ‘Sons of the Desert’), it has long links to the world of cinema. In recent years, it has been the Champagne served at the Oscars.
Today the house is owned by the same family as Charles Heidsieck, Rare Champagne, Biondi Santi and Chateau la Verrerie, benefitting from the quality ethos that drives the continual investment in winemaking and vineyards from the Descours family.
Presided over by a roll call of Champagne’s most admired winemakers, the quality of the wines never fails to shine at international competitions
– the 2018 International Wine Challenge brought in two gold and two silver medals, while the range picked up a Platinum medal and four silver medals at the 2018 Decanter World Wine Awards. The House’s winemakers have won Sparkling Winemaker of the Year at the IWC more than any other house. Chef de Cave Émilien Boutillat is the current custodian, whose philosophy is simple: preserving the quality, elegance and generosity of style that has always characterised the PiperHeidsieck wines.
Champagnes on Tasting:
- NV Cuvée Brut (as an aperitif)
- NV Cuvée Brut
- NV Essentiel Cuvée Réservée Extra Brut
- NV Rosé Sauvage
- NV Essentiel Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
- 2012 Vintage, Piper-Heidsieck
- 2002 Rare Millesime - A BIG TREAT TO BE TASTING THIS!
All the above will be expertly matched to fine cheeses from Hamish and Johnston by wine school founder, Jimmy Smith, who will be on hand to take you through the matches.
Places remaining: 12
Course Date/Time: Fri 29th Nov 2019 at 7pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: Fulham Wine Cellars