WSET Course Level 3 £615
The WSET courses provide nationally-recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and enthusiastic amateurs. The courses are all examined and certificated within the QCF (Qualification and Credit Framework) by the government.
All courses are listed at the bottom of this page.
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines & Spirits (formerly the Advanced)
The Level 3 Award in Wines & Spirits is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting as tasting will be part of the examinations. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
- Wine Tasting; Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching; A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling; Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production; Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines; Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Wales
- Sparkling Wines; Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines; Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
- Spirits and Liqueurs; Learn about the methods of production and the main categories and styles of spirits and liqueurs: Brandy, Whiskies, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Gin and other flavoured spirits and liqueurs.
- Number of Wines Tasted; 70-80 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials Students; will receive an Advanced course study pack, consisting of the course book, study guide and tasting card
- Study Materials available; West London Wine School holds a comprehensive library of question papers & in-house mock exams
- Duration of course; 42 hours plus 2 hour 15 minutes examination
- Recommended Private Study; 56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course
- Modes of Study; Day Release (one day a fortnight for 10 -12 weeks or one day a month for 6 months)
- Examination; The Advanced examination comprises of two parts: Part one will be a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a four question short answer writtten section. Part two will be a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% required in all sections to pass
- Certification; All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Student Level 3 Feedback
“Choosing where to study WSET Advanced is as important as the course itself. Jimmy knows this syllabus inside out and helps you focus your studies. His style is relaxed and enthusiastic which makes learning fun. My only sadness is that I have finished the course as I loved every minute of it- Thanks Jimmy” (Elaine Wood, WSET Level 3 November 2011)
"I would highly recommend this course - Jimmy makes wine fun, engaging and accessible. Whilst his knowledge is sky-high, he's able to weave humour into his class, bringing the different regions to life and making you thirsty to learn more about the wonderful world of wine." (Lucy Shaw, WSET Advanced Course August 2010)
"I just wanted to say thank you for running an excellent level 3 course. My knowledge of wine has increased significantly. Compared to the level 2 course I did the format was much much better (no stress of trying to escape office for evening classes and much smaller, friendly and more fun classes). Thank you!" (Sarah Gatley, July 2012)
West London Wine School is the largest APP (Approved Programme Provider with WSET)
Mondays for 7 sessions starting 20th May This well-structured and in-depth Advanced certificate is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain comprehensive knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon
Places remaining: 4
Mondays for 7 sessions starting 23rd Sept This well-structured and in-depth Advanced certificate is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain comprehensive knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon the knowledge
Places remaining: 15
Saturdays for 7 sessions starting 26th October This well-structured and in-depth Level 3 certificate is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain comprehensive knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon the knowledge gained
Places remaining: 15